The $37 billion vitamin and supplement industry continues to grow its ranges, discoveries, approved health claims, benefits, positive testimonials, and consumers. Because of this, the interest in finding out the best, trending, most popular and best selling supplements also arises. Despite of the presence of several reports from medical news articles, the continuous beneficial claims keeps the market growth of currently estimated 5-7+% annually based on category. And according to a previously published report by the American Botanical Council, US consumers alone spent about 7.7% more on herbal dietary supplements in 2016 than in the previous year.
As customers and consumers of these highly valued health and dietary supplements, it is important that we check news reports and articles for updates for our safety. In addition, it is also best to keep ourselves updated of what is available to identify the best, trending, and popular supplements that may help us save more. Another important factor in choosing the best supplements is how each can possibly be formulated and combined with other vitamins and minerals to improve its benefits. You may find helpful resources at the bottom of this post to help you be guided in identifying the best supplements available for you.
12 Best Trending And Most Popular Supplements of 2017
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids - A very popular and well-known source of EPA, DHA, and ALA. Some of its best benefits are, to maintain blood fat, triglyceride levels which having high levels of puts you at risk for heart disease. EPA and DHA, with approved EFSA claims, contribute to the normal function of the heart, maintenance of normal blood pressure, brain function, vision, and more. Maternal intake of DHA contributes to the normal brain and eye development of the foetus (fetus) and breastfed infants (a daily intake of at least 200mg).
- Vitamin D - A sufficient amount of vitamin D is important for normal growth and development of bones and teeth, as well as improved resistance against certain diseases. Our bodies must have vitamin D to absorb calcium and promote bone growth. Too little vitamin D results in soft bones in children (rickets) and fragile, irregularly shaped bones in adults (osteomalacia).
- Turmeric - It basically built-in with and contains bioactive compounds with powerful medicinal properties. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric, which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. Ideal as an immune system booster, as well as for use during any exercise program, by older adults and anyone looking to support hormone, bone and joint health plus all round well-being. Can also be used for liver, digestive and circulatory system health.
- Whey Protein - Whey protein is definitely one that stayed on the most popular and widely purchased supplement across the globe. Very popular amongst muscle builders and people trying to lose weight. Milk is made of two proteins, which are casein and whey. And whey protein is considered a complete protein as it contains all 9 essential amino acids, which made it one of the most trending and popular supplement in a yearly basis.
- Amino Acids - Amino acids are the building blocks that make up protein. Your body puts them together like "Lego toys" to create muscle. They are essential for the synthesis of proteins, enzymes, hormones, neurotransmitters, metabolic pathways, mental stabilization, and just about every function that takes place within the human body. BCAA or branched-chain amino acid supplements, is essential to stimulate and fuel your muscles at the cellular level. BCAA have been made greatly popular by some of our favorite athletes and muscle builders. BCAA also reduce muscle fatigue, speed muscle recovery, decrease the loss of other amino acids from muscle during exercise and help the body absorb proteins.
- 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) - This dietary supplements claims to help raise serotonin levels in the brain, which helps regulate mood and behavior. 5-Hydroxytryptophan is a naturally occurring substance derived from the seed pods of Griffonia simplicifolia, a West African medicinal plant. Due to present times' high causes of stress which affects moods and behaviors, 5-HTP's popularity grew astonishingly and can be found in a lot of huge marketplaces.
- Probiotics - People are being told about prevention being the best cure to all kinds of diseases, and this is where the popularity of probiotics steadily grew since its discovery by Russian scientist and Nobel Prize winner, Elie Metchnikoff of the Pasteur Institute in Paris. Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system. In most tutorials in how to choose the best probiotics that you may find, will teach you to find probiotics that include at least: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium longum, and Bifidobacterium breve.
- Biotin (B Vitamins: Vitamin B7, B8, and H) - There are various forms of biotin and they all belong to the family of B vitamins. Biotin is synthesised from bacteria (including gut bacteria) and mold and yeast fungus, algae, and certain plants. Biotin is water-soluble and because it does not get stored in the body we depend on regular intake/production of the nutrient. Biotin is removed when boiled in water. Its effects impact regulation of sugar metabolism, Nervous system, mental balance, production of urea, maintenance of mucous membranes. More recently has been found to help maintain healthy hair, skin, nails, and more.
- Chromium and Chromium Picolinate - Chromium contributes to normal macronutrient metabolism and to the maintenance of normal blood glucose levels, and has approved EFSA claims. Chromium picolinate has been used in alternative medicine to treat chromium deficiency, as an aid to controlling blood sugar in people with diabetes or prediabetes, to lower cholesterol, and as a weight-loss supplement.
- Magnesium - Magnesium supplements activate over 300 enzyme reactions in the body, translating to thousands of biochemical reactions happening on a constant basis daily. Popular supplements and manufacturers claim a lot of health benefits which include, energy increase, calms nerves, treats insomnia, relieves constipation, relieves muscle aches and spasms, calcium level regulation, potassium level regulation, and sodium level regulation.
- CoQ10 (CoEnzyme Q10) - CoQ10 is found in every cell of the body. Our bodies make CoQ10, and our cells use it to produce energy that our body needs for cell maintenance and growth. It also functions as an antioxidant, which protects the body from damage caused by harmful molecules. It is commonly known that coenzyme Q10 plays a significant role in cellular energy turnover and protects against oxidative stress.
- Fiber or Fibre - Fibre is an important part of a healthy balanced diet. It can help prevent heart disease, diabetes, weight gain and some cancers, and can also improve digestive health. Fiber or fibre slows the rate that sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream. When you eat foods high in fiber, such as beans and whole grains, the sugar in those foods is absorbed slower, which keeps your blood glucose levels from rising too fast.
Food Standards Agency, EFSA, Food Supplements Guide and FAQ by gov.uk, Better Nutrition's 10 Trending Supplements of 2017, Amazon Dietary Supplement's Best Sellers.